Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Over and above the call of duty

In a day and age when it is rare to see people go way beyond the call of duty it is inspiring to know that many of our Family Facilitators (volunteers) continue with their work visiting children in their homes despite being tired and sick or having to deal with their own crises at home. Just last week I was utterly amazed when I went out into the community to pick up one of the Facilitators with 10 of her children and take them to the playground that has been built in the community. Their homes are a fair distance from the playground and they do not get to go there regularly.When I arrived the Facilitator was waiting with the children, all ready to go. I asked her how she was doing she told me she had been up sick all night and was very weak. When asked why she did not phone and cancel the arrangements her response was, " But I had already made the arrangement with the children and I didn't want to disappoint them, they are so excited to go to the playground." When we arrived at the playground I watched her with the children and her interactions with the children were no different from any other day. It is this selflessness that gives me hope and inspires me to give my all no matter what the circumstances around me may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment