Friday, February 19, 2010

Something to ponder

As South Africa has just recently commerated 20 years since Nelson Mandela's release from prison and the huge changes that have occured in our country I began to reflect on what a privelege it is to be doing the work that I do. Just this week it struck me as I entered a home for a meeting how welcome I was in this home. I was there to observe and learn from a group of people very different to myself. I had nothing to offer except friendliness, respect, a smile and a willingness to learn. I began to realise that my generation and those who come after us are so privileged to be afforded these opportunities and how many of the older people who were severely affected by apartheid walk in a sense of forgiveness just as Mandela has done. We have plenty to learn from the elders in our communities, our own parents and grandparents and especially from those who have had a different life experience to the one that we have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment