Friday, June 4, 2010

The reality of working and living in South Africa

Just last week one of our Family Facilitators walked into my office to tell me that one of the children we work with had passed away the day before. He was a lively 13 year old boy who had a disability yet his difficulties never stopped him from engaging with others :) The news of his death really shook me as I asked myself, "Why, he was so young and full of life?"

This incident got me thinking that barely a week goes by where someone in the 270 families we work with or the Family Facilitators or Committee members families passes away. As much as I know that death is a natural part of life, it is the untimely loss of life that affects me. Again I am reminded how we need to equip our Family Facilitators, Committee Members and Students to enable them to deal with their own loss so they can help and support those they work with!

No comments:

Post a Comment