Thursday, July 8, 2010

Buddies, here's what some other people had to say...

I was amazed at the impression the the Buddies had on the leaders who ran the camp 2 weeks ago and thought i would share some of what they said, as it has been a huge encouragement for me.

"As these kids overcame every obstacle we put in their way, as they saw and took opportunities that never seemed, even to me, to be possible, and did it all in record timing, we strove to make everything harder. We blindfolded key players, tied kids feet together and used any other method we could think of to handy-cap these amazing young people.
All of them were friendly, polite, respectful, good listeners, and I was blown away at how obedient they all were, both boys and girls. If given the choice, I would rather this group on a camp then any other group of similarly aged people that I know." Jess Goodall

"They gave the impression that it doesn't matter what you throw at them, they will overcome it. They rose to every challenge. The leadership capabilities of many of the kids were easily seen. It was a really special bunch of kids that came through as intelligent, persevering and strong kids." Jason Tame

"For me as an immensely proud South African, it gave me great joy and even tears to see this generation that is more interested in the well being of the community than in personal gain or hate....For me as an Afrikaner it was also great sharing a bit of my culture, and experiencing theirs and it was on the talent night that I realised what Madiba was talking about when he said 'The Rainbow Nation.' Something like that is only possible through friendship and contact, and I believe that these kids have been primed to be that contact!They are truly starting to shake off the bonds of racism and prejudice and with constant mentorship as is provided through LETCEE, these ghosts of the past could disappear altogether." Rudi Ackerman

We took the Buddies on camp so they could learn and grow but i think they can be very proud of what they taught and gave to those leading the camp. Well done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment